• Obama has already angered Palestinians by saying that "Jerusalem will remain the capital of
Israel and it must remain undivided." Obama has had to backtrack, but Palestinians and Israelis have
been left wondering if he really understands the complexity of their situation.
• While Obama was talking to a group of Democrats he stated that "Nobody is suffering more than
the Palestinian people."?
• Obama strongly states that the smuggling of weapons and ammunitions to Gaza should be put to a
• He also proclaimed that "America is committed to Israel's security. And we will always support
Israel's right to defend it self against legitimate threats."
• Obama is full of praise for Jordan and its "constructive role in training Palestinian security
forces and nurturing its relations with Israel"
• Obama states that "As a part of a lasting cease fire, Gaza?s border crossings should be open to
allow the flow of aid and commerce, with an appropriate monitoring regime."
• Two statements that he made have really made an impact and they are (1) "The United States does
not accept the legitimacy of continued Israeli settlements." and (2) the Palestinians should have a
"state of their own."
• During his interview with the 'Atlantic', Obama proclaimed that the concept of a Jewish state is
"fundamentally just." He feels that USA should reinforce the hands of Palestinian moderates.
• He strongly supports on fully funding military assistance to Israel and on cooperating with
Israel on the growth of the Arrow missile defense system.
• He called America's 'strong bond' with Israel 'unbreakable' and stated that "it is based upon
cultural and historical ties and the recognition that the aspiration for a Jewish homeland is rooted
in a tragic history that cannot be denied."
More on Barack Obama